Role closes - 11:59pm, 8th Sep 2019 AEST (Australia/Sydney)
AUD$130K-$160K salary (ex. super) plus benefits
Remote with at least 3 hours of overlap with an Australian timezone
Hours: 22.5-38 hours a week depending on your preferences and availability
Buildkite is a continuous delivery platform that helps development teams ship quality code, fast. Making developers happy and productive makes us happy, and we’re lucky to work closely with some of the best software teams in the world, including Airbnb, Shopify, Google, Pinterest, and Basecamp.
We're looking for a Site Reliability Engineer to join our team and become a key part of all our engineering efforts.
A typical day for a Site Reliability Engineer at Buildkite might look like:
- Mentoring and consulting with team members to improve their ability to understand, diagnose and, fix the operational aspects of their software systems.
- Collaborating via Basecamp on designing an upcoming feature or fix.
- Iterating on Ruby (Rails) code in our primary app, and any related changes to our PostgreSQL database, Golang agent, or React and GraphQL frontend code.
- Troubleshooting our production app and isolating issues to fix.
- Video calls with others on the team to discuss or solve problems, or to just say hi.
- Providing feedback on a Github pull request, or responding to feedback left for you.
- Helping customers via email and Slack support, and following up with "support hacks" to solve any identified issues. At the moment we have a person on support for the whole week (it’s your only job that week), and we each take turns.
- Working to manage and improve on-call and incident response processes.
- Ensuring we have a high level of confidence in the reliability of our code and systems.
- Engineering solutions to improve the reliability and availability of our platform.
- Ensuring that the teams have taken into account security and operational concerns when developing.
This job is for you if you:
- Are a technical leader. You are comfortable giving direction to other engineers, including setting architectural and technical direction. You are confident mentoring and collaborating with others.
- Have strong Ruby skills. You have helped manage a production Rails application, and are familiar with the surrounding Ruby ecosystem.
- Believe in quality code. You are comfortable writing tests and clear comments for the code you write. You know how to balance your own high standards of code quality with the problems you are solving and external constraints like how time-sensitive it is or the impact it will have.
- Like solving problems. You are happy working through difficult technical problems and solving them in straight-forward ways. If you don't know the answer immediately, you are comfortable digging until you figure it out and know the right point to ask for assistance.
- Understand development processes. You are comfortable writing git commits, pull requests and issues. You know how to tackle critiquing others code in a positive and productive way, and are comfortable receiving the same sort of feedback.
- Are a good communicator. You value empathy and kindness and are able to articulate your ideas and feelings when writing or speaking.
- Are self-motivated. We are a remote company, so you will need to be comfortable stepping into gaps in the planning, taking initiative, and identifying what needs to be done and how to get it done.
- Learn fast. You might not be an expert in everything we do initially, but you will quickly become an expert in some aspects. You are comfortable diving in and learning things, even if they are new to you.
We are an independently owned, profitable company that values sustainable growth, transparency and work-life balance. We're currently a team of eleven, and we work remotely from Melbourne, Sydney, Adelaide, Perth and Vancouver. We keep our processes remote-first, though some of the Melbourne team rent desks at a private co-working space in Fitzroy.
Benefits and Salary
- We’re offering a base salary of AUD$130K-$160K salary (ex. super) plus benefits depending on experience
- Equity and profit share
- 6 weeks paid annual leave
- 6 months paid parental leave for primary caregivers, and 3 months paid parental leave for secondary carers with super and continuation of all benefits.
- Comprehensive hardware and phone budget every 24 months
- Training and conference budget
- Wellness budget
- Private healthcare
- Green commuting budget
- Expense card
- Home office expenses, and co-working budget
To apply: https://app.beapplied.com/apply/w3okmj0wdx